Summer training will begin July 6, indoors. Although training activities will need to be a little different than past years due to the need to maintain social distancing, we are confident that our trainers will lead sessions that provide valuable basketball development and are FUN for kids! As examples, sessions will focus on things like shooting, ball handling and agility work. Also, per MDH guidelines, we will be creating “pods” of players so that training takes place with the same group of kids each week versus a “pick and choose” for individual sessions (with a mix of kids per session) as we have offered in past years. The health and safety of our players and trainers is our highest priority.
- Our training staff includes Mark Gustafson (boys & girls), Marisa Gustafson (girls) and Charlie Hoaglund (boys); all have worked as basketball trainers for MBA in the past
- Summer training will be open to MBA boys and girls players who just completed 3rd-8th grades; we will not be offering training for younger players
- Sign up for 4 sessions (50 min/session) for $60; same day and time for each week of July (we will not prorate fees if your child cannot attend all four weeks)
- Friend requests for groups can be made, but are not guaranteed; MBA will create groups of four players of same gender and within 1 grade level based on schedule availability
- You can specify days/times when your child is not available and we will ensure the assigned time does NOT conflict with Mahtomedi Community Ed basketball camps (Zizzo/Newman) for your child’s grade level
- If your child, or anyone who lives in your home, has any COVID-19 symptoms, your child should NOT attend training
- A COVID-19 waiver will need to be completed and we will provide specific drop-off/pick-up procedures; in addition, trainers will be asking participants before each session to confirm no fever, cough or shortness of breath.
- Players will need to bring own ball, water bottle and hand sanitizer
- Players who cannot appropriately social distance during training will not be permitted to continue, and refunds will not be given
- Programming for August is still TBD
- If your child would like to participate, compete the survey (link below) no later than Saturday, June 13 at 11:59 pm. We will use the info in the survey to create the pods and assign a scheduled day/time per pod. Please do not complete the survey unless you are serious about registering your child for training. If you have upfront questions, ask them first.
Small Group Survey Link
- We will notify each family of your child’s day/time and you will then register (and pay) using the Bookeo site. (If demand is so high that we cannot accommodate 1 session per week for all players who want to participate we will reduce the number of sessions per pod and charge at a rate of $15/session/player.)
5,000 Made Shots Club
- Between now and September 9, MAKE (not take) 5,000 shots
- Record the number of made shots per day (use tracking spreadsheet provided below) and email your completed spreadsheet (with parent signature to verify completion) by September 15 to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Open to MBA players who just completed 3rd-7th grade
- Shots should be game speed to be effective and from an appropriately challenging distance for the player
- Next year in-house players who achieve the 5,000 made shots club will receive a t-shirt
- Next year traveling players who achieve the 5,000 made shots club will receive a special logo on their shooting shirt
- In addition, there will be some sort of recognition for the grade/gender that has the highest percentage of players (relative to number of total traveling + in-house players for the grade level last year) that achieve the 5,000 made shot club (Each grade/gender is a team – all 3rd grade boys vs. all 3rd grade girls vs. all 4th grade boys vs. all 4th grade girls….vs. all 7th grade girls). Have your child encourage other kids at their grade level to participate. Which grade/gender will be the MBA 5,000 Made Shot Club Champion?